Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm A Big Girl!!

The moment had come. We all knew it would at some point, but now the rubber really had to meet the road. After three years of life with Kiki's paci, it was time for that old friend to move along.

We had tried a few months ago to ease Kiki off Paci, but that resulted long, confrontational evenings and little sleep for everyone involved. But we had to take action, supported by comments from both her dentist and doctor.

So we thought to employ the tactic used by my cousin, and told Kiki that it was time for Paci to go, but that Tinkerbell was going to come and leave her a present when she takes Paci.

Now, given Kiki's reaction to the concept of Santa coming to leave presents, I should have known that this was not going to go down well. Kiki didn't seem to be phased by the fact that she would be without Paci, but was EMPHATIC that Tink not come to out house. Not in the house, not on the porch, not near the yard.

So I made special arrangements with our special fairy friend, and on Friday morning Kiki bid a slightly sad farwell to her oldest friend and put a specially marked package in the mail. Low and behold, when we arrive home that evening, a special package from Tikerbell had arrived in the mail.

Here are a few shots of her playing with her new friend, Stinker, and his house.





And, much to our surprise, all is well. Kiki has stated several times "I'm a big girl. I don't need Paci anymore." I'm not sure if she is saying it to reassure herself or us. There have been a few tearful moments at bedtime, but nothing as bad as we had anticipated.

I love my girl. She is brave and sweet and she really IS a big girl.

No comments: