Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our World Should Be For Everyone

As most of my readers know, my sister is a second grade teacher. Her first year has been full of challenges, as her students are not the easiest bunch to teach. But the more stories she tells me, the more I realize how much the environment that we live in influences the way we learn, what we learn, and which tools are available to teach us.

But a shortage of resources doesn't mean a teacher can't be resource-FUL!! My sis told me about donorschoose.com, and that she had something posted on it. When I went to the website and read her proposal, I wanted to cry!! Aside from being a great teacher, my sister is a wonderful writer and I think she has really conveyed the needs of her classroom. It just made me so sad that there are kids who don't know about their world! Our world should be available to everyone!!

In any case, I would encourage everyone to check out the website. Even if her proposed donation item is not for you (but I hope it is) maybe you can find another proposal that speaks to you, a way that you can help kids prepare for the world around them, and to know that there is even more world beyond them.

1 comment:

Jessica Knott said...

I have a book for your sister, it's by a teacher named Rafe Esquith and it's called There Are No Shortcuts. I agree and disagree with him on many levels of differing complexity, but it's a great read and should greatly inspire her. Just let me know how to get it to you. :)